WizAnnApp

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2015 5:45 am  #1

Timed out points

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition 

This uses a system called spaced repetition.

I have changed the standard algorithm because it does not fit well with the knowledge, the first issue is the normal algorithm can space forever, so after x times getting the point right you would never be asked the information again, all the flash card apps that use spaced repetition have this issue. 

Most of the algorithms space too widely at the start, e.g. a lot of them like to do whole days, whereas I believe that revising in day one multiple times is useful. 

My changed force a limit on the spacing so that the timeout cannot go wider than 56 days. 

So here is how it works in the app, there is a base time out figure in settings it is in minutes and I believe the default is 240 so 4 hours, so all points start with this timeout, so in 4 hours time the point will timeout, if when you are asked the question in ANY of the revision processes, e.g. daily sheets/weekly sheets, bike lists, postcode revision, category revision the timeout is updated, get the point correct e.g. the green button and the timeout doubles so 4 hours goes to 8 etc, get it wrong or make the point sticky and the timeout gets set back to the default of 4 hours. 

So what happens is using timed out point you will be revising your less well known points more than your well known points, in maintenance is a stagger timeout function this just shifts the timeouts forward to make the process less daunting e.g. if you have 1000's of timed out points this will get the first one and time it out and get the next one and move the time out a minute forward and work its way through the whole set like that. 

atb 

alex 

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

9/15/2015 9:01 am  #2

Re: Timed out points

Hi Alex

I'd like to move to revising my points everyday in the app.

I had about 4,000 points that were timed out because I haven't yet been using the app for my daily revision so I thought I'd stagger the timeout but now they are timing out faster than I can keep up! It's about 1 per minute so about 1,440 per day, which is more than I was planning to revise!

Which setting sets a limit on how many timeout in a day?

Thanks
Jan

9/15/2015 12:17 pm  #3

There is a setitng in the next version that allows you to customise the space between the points, its called stagger timeout it defaults to 2 minutes change it to whatever you want, this should be available at the weekend at some point.

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

9/15/2015 2:59 pm  #4

Excellent
Thanks

9/22/2015 6:52 am  #5

Hi Alex

Just to say that that has worked as I expected which is great so I'll now start using the app for my daily revision

Thanks!

9/22/2015 6:58 am  #6

Thank you for the feedback, lots of work going into the app at the moment, so expect lots of improvements.

All the best
Alex

6/19/2020 11:31 am  #7

Nice post.

6/19/2020 11:31 am  #8

Really informative.

6/19/2020 11:32 am  #9

Timed out points is an informative post and I like that you shared the information to help people like me to learn about these points. From the  research paper writer services we can find the best ideas to know what we should do and how we can resolve the issues related to it.

1/09/2021 6:31 pm  #10

hu

4/15/2021 6:04 am  #11

Thanks for sharing such a meaningful information.

Board footera