WizAnnApp

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2015 5:44 am  #1

How to move/copy/backup the points database

The points database is a single file that contains all your data for the points app, the database is compatible between the iPad/iPhone/iPod/Windows and can be moved between them all as often as you like, even if you don't need to use the app on more than one device it is usfull to learn this process so you can make backups of your database.

To access the database you must use iTunes on a PC or Mac, there are plans to use dropbox but the dropbox developers have not yet released the bindings required to make this straight forward on the Apple apps so I am wating for them to complete that work before I make the app compatible with dropbox, don't hold your breath I have been waiting over a year so far and there seems to be no movement from them at the moment.

When the device is plugged into iTunes, you need to select the relevent device then click on Apps, this lists all the apps on your device, scroll all the way down until you get to 'File Sharing' these are the apps that expose their data to iTunes, select 'WizPoints' on the left hand side, on the right hand side is the files, you are looking for files with a wza extension, the file with the newest time/date stamp will be your database file, the default file name is pointsrevision.wza click on this file, and then click on 'Save to..' the file must be saved to the PC/Mac I suggest saving it to the desktop for ease. There are other files some with numbers at the end like pointsrevision.wza.3.0.0 this is a backup of your database when you installed a new version of the app, this means if something went wrong with the installation of the new version you can roll back the database just by saving that file to the desktop and renaming it and then putting it back on the device.

The process for putting a file onto the device is almost the same as above, this time with file listing you click on add and go and find the file and add it to the device, it is worth closing the app and restarting it when you move a file onto the device, on the maintenance tab of the app you can see what database is loaded to make sure you are running the right one.

Backups are important, please make copies of your database periodically, think about it like this how far back are you prepared to go if you lost your device, would you be prepared to lose a weeks work?, if not then make copies more frequently.

There are a couple of options in the maintanance tab that are worth running periodically "Verify structure" this makes sure that your database has all the right tables/fields, so if you are hitting issues after upgrading then this is worth running, "Verify database" this checks the database for errors, this is a low level test and does not test the actual data but makes sure that the database does not have corruptions, if you run this and find there are errors, please email me a copy of your database so I can investigate what is wrong.

I do not recomend iCloud for backups it misses things quite a lot of the time, the above procedure is the only reliable way of taking backups of your data.

Last edited by Alex (5/01/2015 11:55 am)

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

8/09/2015 7:10 pm  #2

Re: How to move/copy/backup the points database

Hi Alex.
Can I add new points to my lists in the app.

H.

8/09/2015 7:18 pm  #3

Alex, just found it further on.

Cheers.H.

12/08/2015 7:18 am  #4

Hi Alex wiz point frozen how do I send database by email
Sorry if sound s daft not the best with computers
Paul

12/08/2015 7:23 am  #5

Hi,

This link describes how to get to it.http://tinyurl.com/od67444
atb

Alex

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

12/08/2015 7:24 am  #6

Basically it does not matter if the app is frozen your going to use a PC/Mac to do the copy.

All the best
Alex

1/16/2016 10:12 am  #7

Hi Alex,

I've got a problem when trying to save my files.
Once I find the file that I want to save and click on it nothing happens. If I double click it becomes highlighted so I can edit the name of the file. I've also tried dragging the file to my desktop which just leaves it as a plain piece of paper.

My mac and iPad are running the latest software.

1/17/2016 1:02 pm  #8

Hi,

Save should be working make sure the device is unlocked e.g. not needing the pin to unlock it at the time of copying.

All the best
Alex

3/02/2020 5:57 am  #9

You have the opportunity go create your own points so that you can earn better. On the other hand, the best essay writing services 2020 is going to develop an essential and specific way for using all the material very carefully.

Last edited by jydolyj (3/02/2020 5:57 am)

2/08/2021 2:31 pm  #10

When the device is plugged into iTunes, you need to select the relevent device then click on Apps,

Board footera