WizAnnApp

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2015 5:47 pm  #1

IOS9 is about to be released what does this mean for both apps

Hi,

Both apps have been extensively tested on IOS9, my main device has been running the betas for months and is now running the released version of IOS9 and both apps function correctly.

BUT,

In the past there has been a lot of issues with the installation of new versions of IOS and the apps, so these are the things that are important.

Normal backups are not perfect don't rely on them, just today on one of my devices it 'forgot' to backup my database, but I have been there before and took a manual copy beforehand so I lost nothing, Please refer to the 

How to move/copy/backup the points database

document on how to access your databases in both apps, for the points app every file with a wza extension should be copied, but the actual name is listed at the top of the maintenance screen of your current database, make copies of these to the desktop of a PC/Mac for safe keeping. The books app file is called wizannbooks.wbd this contains all your runs, it must be copied.

Apple in their wisdom normally enable automatic updating, with this switched on IOS9 will just be installed when it wants to install giving you no control over when this is going to happen, you can switch this off on the device by going into settings for the device, down to "App and iTunes Stores" or "iTunes & App Store" going down to automatic downloads and switching off "Updates"

It is always better to wait a couple of days after the main release date to see if anything major happens e.g. a significant bug, this happened last year with IOS8, so give it a few days, remember these apps have your data in them don't take risks just because you want the latest and greatest version of IOS on the device.

If you have more than one device, make sure you have up to date versions of your databases on all the devices and just upgrade one of them to see how you get on if all looks good wait a couple of days and upgrade the rest, this means you carry on functioning.

If you have an appearence looming, turn off automatic updates, don't update until you have had the appearence, last thing you need is the stress of having issues with a new version of IOS and an appearence coming come.

I have done lots of testing on IOS9 but you cannot be 100% sure things will go to plan.

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

Board footera