WizAnnApp

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2015 1:18 pm  #1

Google streetview on the points app

This has been a pain from day one, I spent about 50% of my development time in the version one app was spent trying to control Google Streetview, at the time about 70% of people worked ok but there was 30% I could never get to work, over time this number has moved more and more to people not working, the last 'good' version of IOS was IOS5.1.1 after that things really went downhill, IOS6 came out and Apple moved from google to their own maps making the google alternative even worse. Because the maps are not the default you have to jump out of the app into google, google then uses so much memory it kicks the points app out of memory a lot of the time, this is happening more and more as time goes on.

So expect me to remove google streetview from the app at some point as the reliablity of the app is more important than supporting something that is medioca at best,

This is not down to me, if you want to complain, speak to both Apple and Google their battle over this has been very public and not something I have any control over.

Long term we will be writing android versions of both apps and I expect google streetview to work perfectly on those apps.

I love streetview but it is pretty much dead when embeddedd in an IOS app, there are a few $0.99 apps that have google streetview in them these isolate the app in some ways from the memory issues it causes.

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

8/28/2015 12:26 pm  #2

Re: Google streetview on the points app

I feel your pain Alex and appreciate all the hard work. Overall this app is fantastic.
When the 'Streetview' option worked in the app (right up until a week ago for me for some reason) it was brilliant. I loved it!
So now it's not working I'm trying to get on with the 'View point on a map' option. It works fine but the maps aren't as good as Google.
One thing that would improve the Apple map would be if there could be a marker on the point. Sometimes I go into the map to view the point and I can't see the point. The Google map worked fantastically for this.
So, can markers be added to the Apple map used in the app please?
Many thanks in anticipation.

8/28/2015 12:40 pm  #3

if the pin is not there then there is no pin for that point, it is for you to place the point or wait for me to update the pins, which is what I want to do but have zero time to do it at the moment, my time has been completely hijacked with issues rather than doing the stuff like improving the pins, I don't see this changing in the short term either as I have a long standing argument with Apple that has been going on for more than a year about the quality of their development tools, they seem to be more interested in writing funky new things that keeping older stuff working.

I am trying to get the streetview back on, but this might or might not work, I know that it is only a matter of time before they really shut it down, I had another argument with Apple about this around 2 years ago, I said about streetview and their comment was "Streetview is not that bigger feature", I explained it was the number 1 feature for my users, conversation died at that point.

You can tell when revising if a point has a pin the question has a slight green background for the pinned points, or am I missing the point of what your saying.

Apple maps are not as accurate as google maps for sure right now, I can 100% atest to that having used both on the road, apple can be 20 meters out, have points on the wrong side of the road, basically they have a lot of work to do, they are mapping with their cars at the moment this should improve things but in the short term its not that good.

Your welcome to email me screenshots if I have missed the point on the marker issue, email them to me at alexwhite68@gmail.com

atb

alex

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

8/28/2015 5:35 pm  #4

I have fixed the streetview issue for most people in the 3.0.16 release, this will be about a week away from being available from today.

All the best
Alex

Board footera