WizAnnApp

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2015 8:56 pm  #1

Keep getting kicked out of point app

Hey there , is anyone else experiencing this , when I am going through my points and then decide to go street view to check a point , I go into Google maps app which works fine but then when I go back to my points app it then throws my out of the revision and right back to the main menu screen , which is highly annoying seeing as Id be going through about my 150th point out of say 300 points Im revsing then not being able to go back to where I was as it has thrown me out back to the main menu , any advice would be much appreciated thank you 😊

2/11/2015 10:02 am  #2

Re: Keep getting kicked out of point app

This is a known issue with no real fix, here is the details of why this is happening.

When I first wrote the app, Apple IOS used google maps as it's embedded maps and everything worked very well, this was the case up to version 5.1 of IOS, from that point onwards things, changed, Apple fell out with Google because Google have extra features that they only enable on the Android platform, Apple tried to negotiate to get these features onto IOS, Google did not play ball as these extra features gave them a competitive edge on Android. Apple then decided to write their own maps, whilst these maps are good they don't have streetview which is something people on the knowlege really want.

To make matters worse IOS uses URL's to work out what apps to use for instance maps.google.com used to open up google maps, Apple have remapped this to use the Apple maps, the whole process is very hit and miss now, but I am working on a new system that uses longitiude and latitude for the points this will allow both mapping systems to work at the same time, but this will take time to get this to work fully.

So the upshot is that google maps works for some people and not for others, the only reliable combination is IOS 5.1 with embedded google maps currently.

atb

alex

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

3/20/2015 12:39 pm  #3

Hi
I'm getting this too and it's getting very frustrating. The problem is I like to go through the weekly points sheet but it keeps losing where I've got up to. If I don't save regularly I lose my updates. If I do save, I lose my place. Accepting what Alex says that it can't be fixed, does anyone have a recommended way of going through a weekly sheet?

Just thinking about this further, maybe use Google maps on another device like my phone while having WizPoints open on my iPad?

Jan

Last edited by Jan (3/20/2015 12:56 pm)

3/21/2015 9:25 am  #4

Grrrr!
I just spent an hour going through a weekly sheet careful not to forget and use Google maps on my iPad. I updated hundreds of points without saving as I didn't want to lose my place. Then....the Wizann logo. All the updates lost.

Alex, the app doesn't just crash because you use maps on the same device.

Please, please fix this!

Jan

3/23/2015 7:57 pm  #5

This these issues are generally memory issues on the device, there are a number of things completely outside of my control, one thing for sure is going into another app whilst using either app does have issues this is to do with memory on the device and the way it is controlled by IOS not by the app itself, I see this all of the time and it is a memory issue. Essentially what is going on is IOS when you switch an app to the background believes it is not as important as the foreground app and it will kick that app out of memory if the foreground app needs more memory.

Mapping maps using a massive amount of memory and can quickly exceed what is available, this is a well known issues for both Apple and Google maps.

Apple maps
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12641658/ios6-mkmapview-using-a-ton-of-memory-to-the-point-of-crashing-the-app-anyone-e

Google maps
https://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=5202

In the version I am working on mapping is embedded into the app so the need for switching is greatly reduced except in the instance where you need streetview, this I cannot control and will not support because it is virtually impossible to keep it from crashing the apps.

Using one device for the app and one for google map is a good idea and works well it is what I do, also in the version I am working on the app saves the position in the revision when the question changes so if there is a crash you will start at that point.

atb

alex

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

3/23/2015 9:46 pm  #6

Hi Alex

That all makes sense, I guess committing the update every transaction would be relatively easy and make the experience a lot less frustrating when the app does run out of memory. Sorry for my last message being so grumpy!

J

3/24/2015 5:41 am  #7

Dont worry I understand how frustrating all these things are, I use the apps too for the knowledge so completely understand, as a legacy thing the app (because it worked well on windows like this) loads all the points for a specific revision set into memory and does not save until the end because it allowed the app to be very quick, but this does not work as well on Apple devices like it does on windows, so it will save as it goes along in the next version. Also for sets like the all pointed points set that can be 10,000+ points in a set it will load them in chunks of say 500 points rather than the whole lot in one go so this should see the memory requirement go down, I will also look at chuncking things like the weekly, thinking this through, having a set of say 800 points, if all you are doing is blasting your way from one end to the other then it is not proper revision, I find that doing the set in much smaller blocks of say 50-100 and spending proper time on each one is better in the long run.

One of the issues is memory, these devices whilst they work well are constrained memory wise it is a juggling act to get everything to work fast and reliable at the same time.

atb

alex

All the best
Alex

Board footera