WizAnnApp

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2015 5:30 pm  #1

How to move/copy/backup the books database

The books database is a single file that contains all your data for the books app, the database is compatible between the iPad/iPhone/iPod and can be moved between them all as often as you like, even if you don't need to use the app on more than one device it is usfull to learn this process so you can make backups of your database.

The first time you move the database onto a device once you restart the app you will get stuck on the settings screen, you need to contact either me (alex) or WizAnn for a code to authorise the move, it is important that this code is added to the database so once done it is important that the database is then move back to all the other devices once it is working on the new device so that you don't need to add the code each and every time you move the database.

To access the database you must use iTunes on a PC or Mac, there are plans to use dropbox but the dropbox developers have not yet released the bindings required to make this straight forward on the Apple apps so I am wating for them to complete that work before I make the app compatible with dropbox, don't hold your breath I have been waiting over a year so far and there seems to be no movement from them at the moment

When the device is plugged into iTunes, you need to select the relevent device then click on Apps, this lists all the apps on your device, scroll all the way down until you get to 'File Sharing' these are the apps that expose their data to iTunes, select 'WizBooks' on the left hand side, on the right hand side is the files, you are looking for a file called wizannbooks.wbd click on this file, and then click on 'Save to..' the file must be saved to the PC/Mac I suggest saving it to the desktop for ease.

The process for putting a file onto the device is almost the same as above, this time with file listing you click on add and go and find the file and add it to the device, it is worth closing the app and restarting it when you move a file onto the device.

Backups are important, please make copies of your database periodically, think about it like this how far back are you prepared to go if you lost your device, would you be prepared to lose a weeks work?, if not then make copies more frequently.

IMPORTANT, I don't recomened relying on the itunes backups as it skips open files and these database files are open all of the time the app is running, so manual backups is the only sure way of protecting your data.

Last edited by Alex (6/26/2015 6:24 am)

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

3/20/2020 5:48 am  #2

Re: How to move/copy/backup the books database

Application development is the long term learning process you can learn it online and offline both it in one year but you need practice. For taking training, an online academized.com review will help you in the right direction at cheap prices.

Board footera