WizAnnApp

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2015 11:16 am  #1

App slow-down when revising points

Hi, 

New here. I tried searching before posting, but wasn't able to find any posts on a similar subject.

I've been using the app for probably close to a year now, and never had issues. But recently, perhaps the last month or two, when I'm revising points (after importing the sheet), about two thirds points in (so for example, if there's 300 points, somewhere around the 200th point mark) the app starts slowing down considerably. What I mean is, when I tap the screen to reveal the location of the point being asked, there's a delay, that lengthens as I'm getting closer to the end of the revision, and towards the end it takes several seconds (maybe even up to five seconds) after tapping the screen and the loaction being shown (when at the beginning, and always, before this problem, this was instant). Also, curiously, during this delay, sometimes I briefly see something that looks like a blank speech bubble flash near the slider (between the question and the answer areas of the screen).

I hope the above makes sense, happy to clarify anything if necessary.

It's very frustrating, I've actually even replaced my iPad with a newer generation one thinking the old iPad (3rd generation) was struggling after upgrading to iOS 9. But now I'm using an iPad mini 3 (also on iOS 9.0.2) and although there seems to be a minimal improvement in responsiveness of the app, the slow-down still definitely happens and it's really annoying.

I hope you can help,

Many thanks!

10/23/2015 4:06 pm  #2

Re: App slow-down when revising points

Hi,

Can you try to get a screenshot of the bubble this might help pin things down a bit, one thing for sure is the maps use a lot of memory there is nothing I can do about that other than disable the map, this is a known issue with every version of IOS, this can be improved by revising in smaller chunks e.g. 100 points at a time then saving, then pressing and holding the revision set and selecting "Start from current positon" this clears the memory somewhat. Using the maps this was the number one concirn, memory usage, I am absolutely sure it is a memory issue where the map is leaking memory slightly and over time it uses more and more.

There are plenty of examples like this one

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20138419/stop-ios-7-mkmapview-from-leaking-memory

atb

alex

Last edited by Alex (10/23/2015 4:10 pm)

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

10/24/2015 5:15 pm  #3

Hi Alex, thanks for getting back to me on this.

Getting a screenshot is going to be very tricky because it flashes very very briefly, for less than a second. What I might try and do is video the app on the iPad with my phone, when this is occurring and hopefully that will show you both the slow response and this bubble when it flashes.

I'm not sure what you mean with this stuff about maps, as I rarely use them in the app, although I do occasionally look at a point on a map with the in-app feature (show point on map). Is this what you're talking about? But I think the slow-down happens regardless of me using this or not.

​I'm going to try and get this video and send you the link.

Like I said, this issue started happening about a couple of months ago... It was always fast and responsive for a long time before that.

Thanks for your help, Vlad.

10/25/2015 10:18 am  #4

As soon as you use the map once you get the issues with memory, I had exactly the same problem with google streetview on apple devices, its a trade off between having the features and living with the memory issues or removing the features alltogether, he first version of the points app was delayed by 3 months due to this types of issues and they were never fully resolved, I can take the maps out of the app and the app will respond correctly, or leave the maps in and slowly over time the apps run out of memory, there is seriously nothing I can do about it, revising in smaller chuncks or closing the app and restarting it.

In fact you can prove if it is a memory problem if you get the slow down and then close the app and restart it and see if you are able to revise for longer before the slow down occurs, one issue is this only works once the app has been loaded for a good while and then it starts to slow down.

A couple of months ago I added the maps so your slow down occured at the same time.

In testing one of my call over partners got this slow down and we worked out on his device the sweet spot was about 100 points revised in one go seemed to work well for him.

Newer devices have a lot more memory than the older ones, the 6x iPhones have 2GB of ram which is double previous versions.

Feel free to post enhancement requests for the apps, always looking for new ideas.

All the best
Alex

10/25/2015 10:34 am  #5

Hi Alex,

Ok, I will try revising in two chunks perhaps, saving and closing, then continuing from where I left off. Do I have to completely close the app (and maybe swipe it out of the "multitasking" screen on the iPad) between the two revisions?

Thanks again.

10/31/2015 6:28 am  #6

no it should be good enough just to come out of the revision and then start the second one.

All the best
Alex

12/14/2015 9:21 am  #7

Hi Alex,

Yep, that's been working ok, saving after about 100-150 points, then restarting revision, thanks.

I've got another couple of issues though.

1. If I edit a point (usually adding some info in the User Note box, or specifying the side of the road of a point), then save, a lot of the times (but not always) after I tap Save, and the  screen goes back to the revision screen (with the don't know, sticky and correct buttons) I can no longer tap it to reveal the answer. In other words, tapping doesn't do anything. The only way around is to Save and exit, then begin revision again.

2. In settings, I like to keep radius mode turned off, but this setting never saves. Every time I start the application, I have to go into settings, turn this off and Save. Next time, it's turned on again, and it always defaults to being turned on, regardless of me saving it.

A quick questions as well.

I love how as of a recent update, the map automatically appears as an answer and shows the location of a point/road. Is there a way to make this map appear automatically a little bit more zoomed out? I tinkered with a few settings that sort of sounded like they might have something to do with that, but I'm not sure I'm getting the result I want.

Many thanks!

Last edited by Hayabusa (12/14/2015 9:22 am)

1/19/2016 9:12 am  #8

Hi Alex, still having the issues I described in my post above, is there anything you can advise? Many thanks!

2/03/2016 9:56 am  #9

The edit point issue is fixed in the next release, not sure when this will be released as we are trying to get a lot of things into this release, all are important changes so all need to be implemented.

I believe the settings issues is fixed in that release I will double check, but make sure your on at least 4.0.3 and see if that works.

Screen settings for size of the map:-

iPhone span the defaults are 0.005
iPad span 0.001

both these figures can be changed by changing the iPad span to 0.01 would mean it more zoomed out, try figures like 0.002 0.005

atb

alex

All the best
Alex

2/04/2016 8:41 am  #10

Thank you Alex!

2/25/2016 11:09 am  #11

Hey Alex, just to let you know, it's all working now. The Radius Mode on/off setting stays remembered, and I've not had issues with editing a point, and then having to save and go back in.

Cheers! 

3/01/2016 10:16 am  #12

thanks for the feedback

All the best
Alex

10/07/2020 2:15 pm  #13

The issue of the App slow-down when revising points are big and the people around are very concerned about it. When I buy custom essay I found the best ideas that are good and we can find more and more updates about it.

Board footera